June really turned out to be a great month. I got a lot of hiking in and was able to explore some pretty neat mountains and several wilderness areas as well as some more open space trails and parks. Overall, here’s a quick glance at what I was able to accomplish:
- June 4th– Walker Ranch Park- 7.6 Miles
- June 7th– Deer Creek Canyon Park- 2.6 Miles
- June 9th– Pine Valley Ranch Park and Buffalo Creek Trail System- 13.5 Miles
- June 11th– Centennial Cone Park- 6 Miles
- June 15th– Elk Meadow Park- 4 Miles
- June 18th– Bison Peak in Lost Creek Wilderness- 13 Miles
- June 25th– Stanley Mountain from Berthoud Pass- 7.9 Miles
- Total Miles Hiked in June 2019: 54.6 Miles
- Total Miles Hiked in 2019 so far: 224.44 Miles
On three separate occasions, I got caught in some thunderstorms while out hiking in the woods. Luckily, I was not above treeline and could easily find a safe place to seek shelter in the woods. Specifically, this happened to me on the 4th, 7th and the 18th of June.
In regards to June 7th, a large thunderstorm formed in the foothills directly west of Denver while I was only 1.3 miles up the trail. However, the conditions of the trail were absolutely horrendous that day so it all worked out for the best.
Originally, I planned on writing a post about the Buffalo Creek Trail System and Pine Valley Ranch Park but unfortunately my camera died after taking only two photos that morning. I did manage to get a peaceful shot of the lake though.
My last two hikes of June involved hiking to the summit of several 12,000 foot peaks. Both Bison Peak and Stanley Mountain had some pretty remarkable scenery. While hiking to Stanley Mountain, I also added a little extra mileage as I wanted to see how steep the trail down to nearby Vasquez Pass was. Hiking in both the Lost Creek Wilderness and on the Continental Divide Trail was so much fun and relaxing in that I had both summits to myself and hardly saw anybody too.
Overall, it turned out to be a great month and I’m looking forward to what these next few months of summer have to offer!